(I broke these up for your own good, but feel free to read it all as one entry if you have a lot of time on your hands!)
Next on the itinerary: Saraguro. A Quichua pueblo known throughout Ecuador for its residents' pride in their identity, it is home to an intercultural bilingual school whose director I have been in touch with since October. Jose Maria was thrilled I was finally there; he had decided I was never actually going to visit, he admitted over tea back at his house where I chatted with him and his wife, the co-founder, after my first full day in the school. Neither of us remember how we first came in contact with each other; I know the lovely ladies in the private intercultural school in the valley outside of Quito (where I almost did my case-study) have some sort of connection to Jose Maria, but I think that may just be coincidence. I think I can thank good old Google for turning up Unidad Educativa Experimental Activa Intercultural Trilingue Inka Samana's website. Quite the name, I know. And it is quite the school! Yes, it is funded by the same system as the school in Campana Cocha, but they could not be more different.
Inka Samana was founded by Jose Maria and his wife Gabriela about 30 years ago with the idea of offering to their community's youth an innovative form of education. These visions happened to be circulating around the same time the EIB system formed, so it only made sense they join the ranks of intercultural bilingual schools. As a Quichua community, they were motivated for their students to maintain Quichua while learning the all-important languages of their country and the world, hence the trilingual aspect: Spanish, Quichua, English. Remaining immersed in their own cultural traditions was important as well, so they fit all the EIB state system requirements. Beyond that, their approach is radical: no grades, no exams, no schedules, no uniforms. Teachers are guides who specialize in a given subject area and are present to offer not just academic, but personal and moral support to the students as they work independently through the required units. Students choose what subject they are studying, when, and for how long on any given day. Curriculum is created communally, formed not just by the teachers but by the expressed needs and desires of the families and students as well. Students then know what needs to be completed in order to graduate but have the freedom to approach these tasks in the manner that best suits their personal needs and learning style, all at their own pace. The beautiful thing? They know their learning style, and they want to learn. Weekly discussion groups hold students accountable for their work as they share the events of their week's study with other students and a teacher.
Honestly, this approach reminds me of how my mom home-schooled me...only this is successfully functioning on a large-scale. The primary intent of this approach is to instill a sense of ownership in each student's educational journey, foster a love for learning, and generate a youth with creativity, critical thinking skills, independence, and respect for all social and natural worlds. And it works. Most of their students go on to higher education, which is not something that can be said about all indigenous schools. I could write about my short experience with this community forever, so let me just say two things: first, that I plan on returning to spend more time learning from these intelligent, loving people (perhaps as the fieldwork for my potential MA studies in Leadership in Sustainability Education at PSU??). And second, if you want to learn more about their philosophies and my experience, please ask! I understand such unique approaches are controversial, and I would love to contribute to heightening the understanding and appreciation for alternative styles of education.
After Saraguro, I continued north to Cuenca, a large and beautiful colonial city that competes with Quito for popularity. Now I only spent a couple days in Cuenca, and perhaps I am biased given the recent robbery, but I would vote Cuenca hands-down. The colonial architecture, narrow cobble stone streets, and beautiful river-front boardwalk appeal to the romantic in me who loves to imagine the what-once-was story of an antiquated home or dilapidated church. I spent much time just wandering the streets, then allowing the sights to inspire my writing on the rooftop terrace of my hostel. I also enjoyed meeting up with a fellow Fulbrighter, as well as shared a passionate conversation with a jewelry shop owner about the ongoing environmental crisis. In the meantime, I interviewed with an up-coming organization in an Ecuadorian coastal town for a summer journalism internship.
This casual Skype interview led me from Cuenca to Montanita, a popular beach town for both national and international travelers. A national holiday meant the beach was unbearably crowded, but I stayed with the founders of the organization in their quaint home a little off the beaten path. The tourism industry sprang into full-force at a rapid pace in Montanita, generating two serious issues: the town lacks the necessary infrastructure for the hostels and restaurants that characterize a tourist beach town, creating extensive environmental challenges; and families lack the resources and discipline to protect their children from the negative aspects of tourism (alcohol, parties, over-stimulation, etc.), creating a local youth that is hyper-active, disrespectful, and lacking familial support. Ecuador Equine Experience "seeks to reestablish a relationship between Montanita's children and a more sustainable way of life--a life where humans, earth, and animals are mutually respected and cared for." And they are using horses and art as the pathway to this goal! As a journalism intern, I will help with general public relations as they expand their presence in the Montanita community as well as work to jumpstart a community-level publication that strives to bring the diverse community together to share ideas and discover a way for tourism to exist in a manner that does not destroy the local environment.
Yes, I said "I will." I have decided this is my summer calling! Horses, kids, writing, grass-roots level social change...what a better fit, right? In the meantime, remaining in-country will allow me to proceed to the next step of my Fulbright research--writing--while still in Ecuador, creating space for any follow-up interviews, etc. that may arise. And this means I will be leaving Ecuador on a good note, as opposed to the bitterness that was weighing down my soul after the robbery. I think my subconscious knew I needed this pseudo-vacation to reestablish a sense of happiness rooted in Ecuadorian experiences; cheers to listening to your gut and heart and not just your mental processes!
No comments:
Post a Comment